Monday, August 10, 2009

Candied Rose Petals Cake: Housewarming!



I made this cake for my new neighbor. She's incredibly nice and easy-going, so I decided to make her something kind of decadent and fancy. She requested a "classic white wedding cake" and I think this fits the bill--inside and out! Between the layers is a local red raspberry seedless jam and a little vanilla icing. I reduced the recipe by half, and used as many organic or local ingredients as possible (eggs and flour, both organic and local, mainly).



Now, for the candied rose petals! I chose pink and white roses for their fragrance and appearance. I painted each petal with ultra-pasteurized egg whites (for safety, who wants to eat something so pretty, and get salmonella!), and dusted with granular sugar.



In the future, I'd like to use a super-fine sugar to see how the appearance changes. I left the petals to try for a couple days on a cookie sheet. They are perfectly edible, with the sweetness of the sugar balancing out the naturally bitter rose petals.



I think it's one of the prettiest cakes I've ever made!



3 comments:

  1. Pretty:-)
    I`m going to do the same next week.
    Did you put the cake with the petals on in the frigde after decorating it?Do they get soft and colour of on the cake/marzipan?

    Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find roses that you knew where not sprayed with pesticides? That is my biggest challenge at the moment. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered them from a local flower shop. They were not cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete