Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Barbie Doll Cake: Reimagined

I made this cake last June for T's birthday. He was working with some colleagues in a research group about Second Life, and I made this for him to share with the group!

Second Life is a Crazy Life

It was supposed to be a whimsical Second Life character, and I think I kind of succeeded in doing that! I just remembered the cakes my grandma used to make me when I was little. She'd take one of those Dollar Store faux-Barbie dolls with the hollow legs and stick it down inside a rounded cake. I can't remember why this was necessary, but she always cut the feet of the doll. Maybe her pans were a certain height, but man, did it stink to get your birthday cake, with promises of a new doll to play with afterwards, only to find out she has no feet.

When I made this cake, our financial situation was similar to the times when I was a kid. T and I had just purchased our first house, and used all our savings (and then some) for a downpayment. We had something like $14, and I used it all to purchase the doll, and decorations, for the cake. It was a good day, though, just because I got to share something I made with friends.

Oh, the recipe! I tried to imitate a Ho-Ho cake, with a super rich dark chocolate cake and a fatty white filling. Good overall, but not something one would eat regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment