Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oreo Balls Imitating Pumpkins and other Fall Treats


If you are looking for something easy and delicious to do for Halloween sweet treats, it doesn't get simpler than this. All you have to do is take some basic white frosting and a ribbon tip and squeeze short ribbons on top of any flavor of cupcake. Dot with two chocolate chips or other candies and VOILA! You have some spookily cute and creamy delicious mummies!

Gotta love Martha Stewart. Even if it's a love/hate relationship.



I look forward to fall apples every year, and this year I was able to find a plethora of recipes featuring apples. And when the apples are local and not covered with that disgusting "food grade" wax to make them all fake shiny at the store, they taste even better. You can't tell me that an apple picked fresh off the tree isn't worth $0.50. You just can't.

I used half of the vanilla cupcakes that were left over from mummy making to make some apples. I teach a class teaching future teachers how to be teachers (it makes sense if you think about it) and it was the last day of their lab. With under a dozen students, it's easy to do something nice for them like make homemade cupcakes. Plus, they're super funny and cool, and made having to teach the class that much easier.

I couldn't find my red icing, so I colored the icing pink and rolled it in red sanding sugar (much more awesome idea than red icing alone!) and made a quick leaf and stem. Impromptu creativity for the win!



The things you can do with Oreo Balls are pretty much endless (Want the recipe? Okay. One package of Oreos, crushed fine--any flavor will do as long as they aren't double stuffed--and one 8oz pack of cream cheese--full fat, neufchatel, or fat free all work. Beat with mixer, form into balls, chill for 15 minutes, and dip in chocolate and decorate as desired. It's that easy) Make them into pumpkins, jingle bells, the base for reindeer heads... the only limit is your creativity and ability to imitate! I was afraid that these looked a little bit like alien boobs, but I think the pumpkin imagery came through. The stems were chocolate covered sunflower seeds.



I'm already starting to miss fall, even though there's still a month left. The local farmer's market is emptier and emptier each Saturday, and I was informed that last week is the last week for fresh lettuce. Guess it's time to get out the crockpot and root vegetables and settle into the couch with mug of hot chocolate!

But not until my cider is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment