Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Feast for 2 (with tons of leftovers!)





The Thanksgiving Menu (Featuring recipes from Cooks Illustrated)

Brined Turkey Breast (5 pounds, free-range, organic from Bowman and Landes--semi-local!)
Scalloped potatoes (Cook's Illustrated)
Cornbread Stuffing with Xtra Hot Chorizo (from Loveland Meats, local!) and red peppers (Cooks Illustrated)
Roasted Vegetables with Oregano (we made a much simpler version with sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and Brussels sprouts, tossed with olive oil, dried oregano, S+P)
White and Wheat Dinner Rolls (from a local bread shop)
Mystery Gravy from Bloomingfoods (a local co-op--I've never tried to make gravy, so I picked up some pre-made homemade stuff and some (disgusting) powdered gravy from a pouch (that would have been suitable to pour over the cat's food. I think they were even offended by its chemically smell. Local homemade it was)
Dutch Apple Pie
Whipped Cream




The turkey breast, all cooked and moist and delicious! Surrounded by the roasted root veggies and sprouts.




Scalloped potatoes and cornbread stuffing (wait, dressing, right? Cause it's not in the bird? Eh.)


Dutch Apple Pie. Made with local Winesap apples. It's the best apple pie I've ever had.

Food, Mammeh. Food plz. I ask nice. I sit in my chair. No paws on table. Wherez mah turkeh? Reggie got his turkey day treats later--his much desired Wellness brand, canned, Turkey flavored.


Local/Regional turkey breast, brined, and stuffed under the skin with a zippy parsley pesto with local roasted chestnuts (it was frakkin' delicious and something we made up on the fly!)


Skin replaced. Sorry to stuff your delicious skin with delicious treats and basically desecrate your (delicious) corpse. When your turkey friends are able to catch me and eat me, I give you permission to do the same to me.


It was a success! Our thermometer broke, and we were terrified we overcooked the bird, but it came out perfect without any rawness or signs of being overcooked. Okay, now time for more pie. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment